Sunday, October 12, 2008

Halloween Cookies

Last week I was killing some time over lunch by browsing one of my favorite stores, Crate and Barrel. I was busy trying to restrain myself from spending money, when I saw this fun Halloween Cookie Cutter Set. Did I mention it was on sale? Ohhh, I just couldn't resist!


It just so happens that one of my favorite holiday traditions, with my family, is decorating Christmas cookies. Since I can remember my Mom has been making this "rolled" cookie recipe with us kids... and now the grandkids. It is such a terrific recipe and so easy. So I called my sister, made a date with her and the munchkins.. then invited us over to my parents for the afternoon for a little "pre" Halloween fun!


Cookie Cutter Cookies
makes 2 dozen (roughly)
Ingredients
1 C Butter (sweetened butter- unsalted)
2/3 c sugar

1 egg
2 1/2 cups sifted all purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla


Cream sugar and butter till smooth. Add vanilla. Beat in Egg. Combine and add flour, salt. Chill dough 3-4 hrs before rolling. Preheat Oven to 350 degrees. Bake 8-10 minutes or until slightly colored. Let cool and decorate!

*Cookie Artwork by Jackson, Mckenzie and Austin

1 comment:

S~ said...

I am thinking of trying this recipe with Aidan for some xmas cookies... do you (or Joan) have a recipe for a decorating icing? I like the idea of the lemon glaze you used on your xmas cookies too.... any thoughts? S~