Wednesday, April 1, 2009

French Bread- Attempt #1

My parents are having the whole family over for Easter this year... and when I say "whole" I mean 6 children, and 12 adults (can you say chaos??...but oh so much fun). More than likely there will be a few extra guests too... Out of all those people, only 2 of us eat gluten free and it can often be a bummer. Either we end up missing out on the yummy grub, or we end up cheating and sometimes that can leave one with a bit if a stomach ache... not exactly ideal! So.... I have made it my mission to find a french bread recipe that we can serve to everyone...one that won't be detectable as gluten free.Last night was my first test run, with a recipe I found on RecipeZaar (that got fabulous reviews). I did make a few tiny adjustments to the recipe. I only had regular active yeast on hand, so I heated my oven to 200 degrees, and turned it off when I was ready to let it rise... put the dough in there for an hour covered. It rose pretty well, but I think next time I will let it go 2 hours.This bread tasted just like the real thing, nice crispy crust & light/fluffy texture on the inside. I was very pleased... straight out of the oven it was just divine. Good this morning too! This is definitely in the running to be served at Easter Dinner this year, and will without question be repeated!

Gluten Free French Bread

Ingredients

2 cups rice flour (white)
1 cup tapioca flour
3 teaspoons xanthan gum
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
2 teaspoons egg substitute (optional)
2 tablespoons sugar
1 1/2 cups lukewarm water (heated to 110 degrees)
2 tablespoons fast rise yeast (I used active yeast and it worked well)
2 tablespoons butter or margarine, melted
3 egg whites, beaten slightly
1 teaspoon vinegar
melted butter, for brushing (optional)

Directions

-In the bowl of a heavy-duty mixer, place flours, xanthan gum, salt, and
egg replacer (if used).Blend with mixer on low.
-In a small bowl dissolve the sugar in the water, and add yeast.
-Wait until the mixture foams slightly, then blend into the dry ingredients.
- Add the butter, egg whites, and vinegar.Beat on high for 3 minutes.
-To form loaves, spoon dough onto greased and cornmeal-dusted cookie sheets in two long French-loaf shapes or spoon into special French-bread pans.
- Slash diagonally every few inches.If desired, brush with melted butter.
-Cover the dough and let rise in a warm place until doubled in bulk, 20 to 25 minutes. *if you use regular active yeast, let rise for 1-2 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Bake for 40 to 45 minutes.

Remove from pan to cool.

** You will be happy to know, my little baker ego is feeling much recovered and better this morning. Happy I pulled my "baker skills" together after the TWD incident yesterday... he he ;-)

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

The bread looks wonderful!

Erin said...

What a beautiful bread! It can be very frustrating eating gluten free, but it's nice find recipes like this!

NKP said...

Looks good! I have never had gluten free French bread before - but I am committed to experimenting with different flours this year.

Linda said...

Your gluten-free baking endeavors are fantastic! I've been asked by a few of my friends and clients to bake GF recipes, and your posts inspire me to go for it.

Beautiful bread!

Anonymous said...

Gluten free french bread sounds like a real challenge (but maybe not as much as shortbread!). But this looks great!
Are those Courtly Check canisters in the background?

Anonymous said...

this looks FABULOUS!
can i have a piece for my Trader Joe's creamed honey?
erin@glutenfreewithapurpose