Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Mushroom Almond Burgers


I stumbled upon this recipe in my trusty ole files, and not only did I have a wave of nostalgia, but my stomach actually growled. This is one of my all time favorite recipes! Originally written by a dear family friend. I have very fond memories of dinners at my friends house, during high school and her mom introducing me to my first homemade "veggie burger". I made a number of changes to make it a tad healthier & also out of my need to get more fiber full grains into my gluten free diet. (That is a tough one, but Quinoa is a great one that fits that bill... it is rich in protein and fiber! ) This is a fabulous recipe, uber healthy and light. They even freeze well too... :)

Almond, Mushroom Burgers -
*Adapted from Stephanie's Almond Burger recipe
-makes 10 medium size patties
3 cups cooked Quinoa
2 cups ground almonds
1/4 cup egg beaters
2 tbsp soy sauce
3/4 cup chopped onion
1 cup grated, low fat- skim mozzarella
1/2 cup rolled oats or instant oatmeal
1 cup chopped mushrooms
1 cup pealed and chopped zucchini
fresh parsley, chopped (I used Basil as it was what I had on hand)
ground pepper to taste

In a bowl, combine cooked quinoa, mushrooms, zucchini, basil and almonds. In a blender or food processor, separately process egg, soy sauce, onion, cheese, oats and pepper. Pour blended mixture over quinoa mix. Shape mixture into patties, and cooked in skillet over medium heat until brown, about 5 minutes per side. (can be cooked in Pam or small amount of olive oil.)

5 comments:

Teanna said...

I was at a restaurant and once ordered a wild mushroom burger, thinking it was a burger with wild mushrooms on it. NO! It was a wild mushroom burger made with quinoa and bread crumbs and other things... I was utterly confused but actually very happy because it was delicious! And that recipe looks fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I love it! I love making my own veggie burgers. This one sounds delicious. Thanks for sharing.

vibi said...

Mmmmm... that sounds delish, Banjo!!!
I'm keeping that one to make pretty soon! Yes sirey!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Carolyn!
I nominated you for The Attitude of Gratitude Award...check out my blog!
erin@ glutenfreewithapurpose

AndreaQ said...

this looks awesome! I make a lot of turkey burgers but haven't found enough ways to make vegetarian burgers. Thanks for posting this!