Friday, May 15, 2009

Cannellini Bean Mash

Living gluten free can bring many challenges to ones diet. Among those (at least for me) is getting enough fiber in my diet since I can no longer eat wheat grains. One of my new favorite blogs The Nutrionista is a huge supporter of beans. Now I have never, ever in my life been a bean fan. Aside from a highly embarrassing incident (when I was 15 & working for a catering company) where I tripped and accidentally dumped a vat of baked beans on a very large man in a speedo @ a 4th of July pool party (true story... oy, you can't make this stuff up people) I hadn't had much exposure to them. (no pun intended.. ha)


So with some encouragement from Nutrionista, I jumped in.. gave this recipe a shot and now I am converted! WOAAAAAA.. I have been missing out, this is a fabulous side dish! A very similar consistency to mashed potatoes, but way more nutritious. Packed with protein and fiber, this is definitely one of my new favorite side dishes. It is terrific served hot or cold!

Cannellini Bean Mash
makes 4-6 Servings

Ingredients
*2 15oz cans Cannellini Beans
* half an onion, diced
* as much fresh basil as you would like (to taste) chopped
* two cloves of garlic, finely chopped or minced
* about 1/3 cup Parmesan cheese grated
* olive oil

Preparation-
* saute the onions in olive oil until they start to become translucent
* add garlic, basil and beans
* cook for about 5-10 minutes, until the beans are tender.
*transfer mixture to a bowl, mash beans and add Parmesan as you mash
* add salt and pepper to taste
*serve... works hot & cold!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

hi!
i just busted out laughing....what a funny bean story....the mental picture is too much :)
btw-YUM!
-erin @ glutenfreewithapurpose

Web Designing said...

Soooo make me laugh.. that is what i really need right now.. Thanks