Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Tuesdays with Dorie- Chipster Topped Brownies

This week's TWD was chosen by Beth at Supplicious. When I first read the choice I was thinking, wow two of my favorite things together... brownies and cookies! How could this go wrong?? Then I started reading the actual recipe, and realized... holy cow... this is a heart attack in a pan. 3 1/2 sticks of butter, are you kidding me?? good god.. eek!! Forgive me, you know I love my sweets... really I do, but I also would like to keep my arteries in tack... if you know what I mean.


I made my usual substitutes for the flour... 2 part Brown or white rice flour, then 1 part tapioca flour, 1 part potato starch and some added
xanthan gum. I also used semi- sweet chips for the cookies.. as it was what I had on hand. I only baked this for 55 minutes, and honestly I think it could have used an additional 15 more. It seemed to be TOO gooey, and undercooked. I can't believe I am about to say this... but this sweet was TOO rich for my taste. GASP!! (I know, try to not fall over.) It was good, but I think I like cookies and brownies separate and not together. However, it was certainly fun to give it a go & I am, of course, looking forward to trying more Dorie recipes in June! :)

17 comments:

Soy*Baby said...

I thought the same thing when I read the recipe. My heart hurt a bit when I took the sticks of butter out of the freezer. Yikes. But so tasty.

vibi said...

LOL LOL I know what'cha mean... that was almost a whole pound of butter! WOW!

Nevertheless... yours came out perfect, with a very nice cookie crust on top! Bravo Banjo!

mike said...

Hm... I might try the flour substitue - it sounds very interesting! You can't tell the difference - they look fantastic! Ah... 2 sticks... who'll notice? :) Nicely done!

Anonymous said...

They look good! I love your "heart attack in a pan" comment. Maybe it's not so bad that I skipped this week.

Anonymous said...

Funny post! Your 'heart attack in a pan' looks tasty!

I'm curious, why do you use the flour substitutions?

Banjo said...

I use alternative flours because I have Celiacs Disease, and am unable to eat any products containing gluten. It is a bit of a hassle, but has been fun learning different methods of baking!

Hindy said...

It only tasted rich because you forgot the whipped cream! Glad you tried it.

Anonymous said...

hi carolyn!
yes, this was a rich one :)
did your brownie layer taste gritty? what a funny word..gritty.
erin@glutenfreewithapurpose

Anonymous said...

Too bad it wasn't your thing, they look great.

Pamela said...

You're right, this one had a TON of butter in it. It was definitely sinful having them around and I had to get rid of them. Nice job, though! Yours look tasty.

Leslie said...

I thought this one was a bit rich, too. I think yours look great. Now we all need to hit the gym!

spike. said...

too rich??!!!too bad. looks pretty good though

Teanna said...

Haha I agree, I'd rather the two be separate! But they look great!

TeaLady said...

Yes!!! VERY RICH!!! But good. One little bite is all it takes. Like you, chocolate brownie, and then the cookie.

But your's looks great.

Cakelaw said...

I know what you mean - these were an artery buster, which required much sharing to spread the calories.

Shari said...

Rich indeed! Yours look delicious!

PheMom said...

I loved these, but definitely they need to be in moderation - I gave most of them away!