Monday, May 18, 2009

Tuesdays with Dorie- Fresh Mango Bread

After a month of chocolate packed recipes for Tuesdays with Dorie, this recipe was a very refreshing change! Fresh Mango Bread, chosen by Kelly of Baking with the Boys , was a perfect summer bread. I am a major sucker for fresh fruit and veggies at this time of year, but to be honest... I generally steer away from Mangos simply because they are SUCH a bear to cut. Love the taste, hate the mess.

For my gluten free substitutes, this week I used 1 1/2cups brown rice flour, 1/2 cup tapioca flour, 1/2 cup potato starch & a very generous teaspoon of xanthan gum. I left out the raisins (not a big fan) and used lemon zest instead of lime. I had to tent the bread after 1/2 an hour... as you can see the edges were already getting overcooked....ACK!! Next time I would add more cinnamon and ginger.... as I think it could have used a bit more spice.

This recipe really was splendid, and my coworkers devoured it in under an hour so I would call that a success. Thanks Kelly for a great choice! Check out her awesome blog... she also posted a lightened up version of the recipe which looks fab!

26 comments:

vibi said...

WOW! The color on that masterpiece is magnificient!!!

Really, really well done, Banjo!!!

No place here for minis, that whole loaf is beautiful!

Anonymous said...

I'm glad it was a success. Your loaf looks wonderful!

spike. said...

looks great! mangos are difficult to cut correctly but worth it in the end

chocolatechic said...

I bet some light buckwheat flour would be good in this too.

Cristine said...

Your loaf looks gorgeous!

Peggy said...

What a gorgeous photo! Best one today I do believe. Your bread is fantastic!

Anonymous said...

I agree with everyone else - your mango bread is amazing! Looks like you got a lot of dough out of your version.

Mermaid Sews said...

Wow, it looks so good, great pictures. Hard to believe it is gluten free.

Anonymous said...

I always have such a hard time slicing mangoes! Your finished loaf looks so pretty, and I love your substitutions!

Cathy said...

I love love LOVE your picture with the pretty purple flowers in the background! This really is a great bread to eat out on the porch with everything in full bloom. Glad everyone enjoyed it!

Soy*Baby said...

Looks great. Glad your coworkers liked it. I feel the same about cutting mangoes. But your bread looks like it was worth it.

Anonymous said...

I hate cutting mangoes too, but they taste so good. Your loaf looks fabulous!

AmyRuth said...

So glad you were able to modify for your needs. Awesome!!! It look beautiful and your co workers are so lucky to work with you! There is a link I left toward to bottom of P&Q's on mango's if you think it would simplify? Just in case. Great photo.
AmyRuth

angela@spinachtiger said...

I used a mandolin to cut the mango and it worked really well and a potato peeler to peel. I realized after my first mango, I needed to change something. I'm very interested in your gluten free because I decided to go gluten free a month just to see what it's like. I like how high your bread raised. Also, I used allspice which gave it a real zing.

Pamela said...

I have to say that I love the way that your bread turned out. Really pretty and I'm glad you had some hungry fans to share it with.

Leslie said...

I think your loaf looks PERFECT! I agree, cutting up mangoes is a pain, but the end result is so worth it!

Anonymous said...

what GREAT rise :)
like you said, it was a terrific breather from chocolate!
i have to say though, i enjoy eating the mango off of the pit...i really do!
erin@glutenfreewithapurpose

Shari said...

Your finished bread looks wonderful! What a nice rise you got on it. I'm sure it tasted as good as it looked!

TeaLady said...

Beautiful bread. Mangoes are a mess, but sooooo good to eat.

The Food Librarian said...

Your bread is soooo pretty!! The dome is perfect. Mine went up and then came down. Sigh.

Cakelaw said...

Yummo! I love the split with the mango showing through - I wanna just dive in and have a slice.

PheMom said...

Really beautiful! I'm sure your coworkers devoured it!

mike said...

Looks perfect! I love how yours rose so perfectly - I always have a hard time with that. The coloring is fantastic - it looks so delicious! Nicely done!

Linda said...

What a beatuful loaf --- I love how the bread domed on top!

Jessie "scanners" Collin said...

Your loaf looks perfect this time..

Engineer Baker said...

Wow, that looks awesome - sorta like it exploded :)